AAPI MIG IDEA Student Committee Member Application 2022-2023
Deadline: 11:59 PM (Eastern), July 15, 2022.
The Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) Member Interest Group (MIG) in conjunction with the Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access (IDEA) Mini-Grant presents a diversity & inclusion student committee member opportunity for 2 student members. This student committee is intended to promote inclusion, diversity, equity, and access to nutrition and dietetics in the AAPI community. We encourage students pursuing dietetics, food service, or culinary science as their profession to apply.
Please read carefully before you complete the scholarship application,
I. Applicants must fall under one of the following categories:
- A student enrolled in an Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics accredited dietetic program (Didactic Program in Dietetics, Coordinated Program, or Dietetic Technician Program) in the U.S. (including Puerto Rico), pursuing a degree in Food and Nutrition and planning to become a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) or dietetic technician (DTR).
- A dietetic intern enrolled in an Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics accredited dietetic internship program in the U.S. (including Puerto Rico) or has received admission notice from an internship program at the time of application.
- A graduate student who is pursuing to be an RDN, major as Masters/Doctoral degree in dietetics.
II. Applicants must be a member of the Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders MIG (AAPI) at the time of application and must be an active or a student member when receiving the award.
III. Applicants must demonstrate passion or past activity in promoting diversity and inclusion.
Stipends - awarded members will receive a stipend of $200.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Attend regular IDEA team meeting (once per month or as assigned)
- Develop and achieve 1 learning objective while serving as an IDEA student committee member.
- Must plan and implement a 1-2 of the following cultural sensitivity projects under the IDEA Liaison’s supervision
- Develop social media posts to promote IDEA, such as:
- Posts that targeting underserved populations identified by the Academy
- Concepts of cultural humility and microaggressions, biases
- History of AAPI groups & how they shaped current nutrition and dietetics
- COVID, AAPI Discrimination + nutrition/health consequences
- Showcase cultural recipes with chronic conditions in need of therapeutic diets. (Reviewed by RD)
- Organize online or in-person networking event that promotes more diverse members to join AAPI MIG
- Assist in planning IDEA-related webinars
- Other tasks assigned
This form is attached at the end of these instructions. Please fill out the application form to the best of your knowledge.
I. Application Form + Personal Statement (approximately 300-350 words)
II. Letter of Recommendation
Obtain one (1) letter of recommendation from an individual who is able to give pertinent information as to your ability, potential, professional qualifications and work experience. The references can be from a professor in your major academic area or an employer or a professor in a related field. File name must be saved with title format: Lastname.Firstname - AAPI MIG IDEA Recommendation 2022.
Submit copies of the most recent or pertinent transcripts from colleges and universities attended (limited to the two most recent institutions). Unofficial transcripts must be sent as a PDF file along with the application. File name must be saved with title format: Lastname.Firstname - AAPI MIG IDEA Transcript 2022.
All application materials must be submitted electronically by 11:59 PM (Eastern), July 15, 2022. Please send the application material to AAPI@eatright.org
The qualified applicants must write an article/ brief bio of about 250 words introducing themselves and/or their professional goals prior to starting the position.
The qualified applicants will be contacted on or before August 15, 2022.
CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION